- To provide a vector (point) version of the input administrative units used in GPWv4 with population estimates, densities, 2010 basic demographic characteristics, and administrative name, area, and data context for use in data integration.
- The Gridded Population of the World, Version 4 (GPWv4): Administrative Unit Center Points with Population Estimates, Revision 10 consists of UN WPP-adjusted population estimates and densities for the years 2000, 2005, 2010, 2015 and 2020, as well as the basic demographic characteristics (age and sex) for the year 2010. The data set also includes administrative name, land and water area, and data context by administrative unit center point (centroid) location. The center points are based on approximately 13.5 million input administrative units used in GPWv4, therefore, these files require hardware and software that can read large amounts of data into memory.
- Recommended Citation(s)*:
Center for International Earth Science Information Network - CIESIN - Columbia University. 2017. Gridded Population of the World, Version 4 (GPWv4): Administrative Unit Center Points with Population Estimates, Revision 10. Palisades, NY: NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC). https://doi.org/10.7927/H46H4FCT. Accessed DAY MONTH YEAR.
* When authors make use of data they should cite both the data set and the scientific publication, if available. Such a practice gives credit to data set producers and advances principles of transparency and reproducibility. Please visit the data citations page for details. Users who would like to choose to format the citation(s) for this dataset using a myriad of alternate styles can copy the DOI number and paste it into Crosscite's website.
† For EndNote users, please check the Research Note field for issues with importing authors that are organizations when using the ENW file format.
- Available Formats:
- vector, tabular, database, map