Archive of Census Related Products (ACRP)Follow Us: Twitter Follow Us on Facebook YouTube Flickr | Share: Twitter Facebook
Welcome to the Archive of Census Related Products (ARCP) Collection. This archive is a collection of georeferenced data files containing census information that spans the United States and its territories. These data files are value-added products derived from the original 1990 census files compiled by the U.S. Bureau of the Census. The major components are:
- TIGER - boundary files based on TIGER 1992 files containing U.S. census geographies.
- STF - demographic data files containing population and housing characteristics from the 1990 Summary Tape File STF3A and STF1B.
- STP - migration files derived from the STP28 Special Tabulation for 1990 which show the movement of persons by county.
- PUMS - public-use microdata samples which provide information for a sample of housing units with data on the characteristics of each unit and the people in it. The data are 5% and 1% samples of the population and housing of the U.S.
Documentation describing the data and filename convention are included, as well as programs to facilitate format conversion and platform portability. The archive supports the integration of georeferenced population, land use, and emissions data by decision makers and planners for the analysis of human settlement patterns.
Organization of the Archive
- The data products reside in the /pub/census/usa directory. The major branches (data directories) are tiger/, stf/, stp/, grid/, and pums/ organized by state.
- The file naming convention is consistent across the states.
- Documentation (readme files) describing the data, the filenaming convention, and directories is available in the /pub/census/.support directory. Text documents describing variables, format processing and information about the data can be found in the /pub/census/.support/infofiles directory.
- The program source code for converting the data to different formats across multiple platforms can be found in the /pub/census/.support/ directory.
- Files covering the entire U.S. can be found in the /pub/census/usa/tiger/, stf/, and grid/ data directories. Data at the state, county, puma, mcd (Minor Civil Divisions), place, tract, blockgroup, and block levels are available. The 1980 mcd's and tract files are also provided where available.
The ACRP archive was developed in 1996 through the collaborative efforts of John Blodgett, Urban Information Center/Office of Computing, University of Missouri, and Henk Meij of CIESIN.